Zombie Sheep Experiment

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Hedgehog Fur Test

I pulled out the yarn I was thinking of using for the hedgehog's fur last night, which is delightfully soft and a terrific colorway, but which seemed a little thin. So rather than dive right in, knit up a massive amount, then perhaps discover it didn't work that well, I decided to do a test swatch.

I knit up ten stitches by approximately 16? rows, then threw it in the washer to felt. It took about 25 minutes to get to the point where I thought it was as far as it would go, which still had distinct ridges. Not sure whether that was due to the wool being a wool/tweed (10%) blend, or the presence of the eyelash, or me just not letting it go long enough.

In any case, I think I need to go "fur" hunting again, since it definitely didn't give the look I wanted, and I don't really have anything else in the stash that might work (except maybe the black Aerie, but that'd need a test too).

Before and after pictures


If anyone has any suggestions for good "furry" yarn that isn't just eyelash (or is at least dense eyelash), let me know!

[edit] Picked up some Lion Brand Fun Fur (chocolate and sand colors) at lunch. Not my favorite/best choice, but it looked most likely to work from what was available at Michaels. Good enough for a test, anyway. [/edit]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home