Zombie Sheep Experiment

Monday, March 13, 2006

A Question of Gauge

Dear Knitsters:

I have a pattern for a wine bottle cover that is confusing me. The pattern calls for bulky (5) yarn. The listed gauge in the pattern is 14 st / 20 rows for 4" by 4" in st st. No problem, right? But the patten says that they accomplished that on size 7 needles.

All of the bulky yarn that I have lists gauge as either 14 or 15 st on size 10 or 10.5 needles. Even the yarn the pattern says they used for the model lists 15 st on size 10 = 4" on its label. I knitted up a small gauge swatch on 7s, then on 8s, then on 9s before I had to put it in time out. I can't for the life of me figure out how they managed to knit that gauge with that yarn on those needles, unless their test knitter just did it incredibly tight.

Am I cracked? Or are they crazy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home